September

September

Friday, December 2, 2011

Sourdough Any One?

I grew up on sourdough.  My dad had a crock of sourdough starter in our home my whole childhood and he still has it today and I am 53 years old!  Usually on Saturday's, he would make breakfast and it always involved sourdough in some way.

A few years ago on my first trip to England with my husband and parents, we accidentally found a Roman Villa that was being excavated.  It is the Chedworth Roman Villa in the Cotswold's.  When we visited it, they had a demonstration of how the Romans used sourdough in their cooking.  Well, my dad was in heaven, and really chatted up the young lady that was in charge of that demo and exhibit.  It was pretty funny to watch him get so excited about sourdough and comparing notes and recipes. 
Chedworth Roman Villa

Well, I am ready to take the plunge and start my own sourdough starter.  My dad said it is best to get a cup of someone else's starter and build from that, but I don't know anyone that has some except him, so I am starting from scratch. 
Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup water
1 T yeast
Soften yeast in water then add:
1 cup flour. 
Mix well, cover and place in a warm spot for 2-3 days.  It should be bubbly (is that even a word?).  Then every other day, add another cup of flour and another 1/2 c water and mix it in until you have the quantity you desire. 
One important things to remember, NEVER use anything that is metal when mixing or storing your starter.  I don't know why.  Dad didn't say why, he just said don't!  He did threaten me never to let my starter die.  OOOOO  I am so scared!
Well, I will begin this experiment/adventure next week since I am leaving to go out of town in a couple of days, but I just wanted you all to be prepared and get ready to enjoy the ride! 
I plan on documenting this with pictures!   

1 comment:

Obat gabagen said...

thank you very useful information admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here may help :

Obat radang ginjal
Obat kaligata
Cara mengatasi demam tifoid