September

September

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy 235th Birthday to Jane Austen!!!

 Jane Austen-born December 16, 1775
Tomorrow marks the 235th Birthday of Jane Austen. She is one of the world’s greatest, and most well known authors. For the past few years, I have been commemorating her birthday by having a Jane Austen birthday tea party, either on or near her birth date. Since I have my grandkids come over on Thursdays to play, I instead held my "tea party" today.

I invite die hard “Jane Austen” fans. They don’t necessarily have to have read her books, but if they love the movies made from her books, that is just as good. I do have 2-3 friends whom I invite that I label as “people I’m trying to convert to Jane”, and they know who they are…ahem…Marie and Tammy… (I don't need to say anymore about them, but one day we will get them to convert!). This event is just a fun time to sit and talk with other Jane enthusiasts about her books.

For today’s menu I offered an assortment of herbal teas, the most popular being the Almond Sunset and Berry Berry flavors, based on the comments that I heard. I also had Chicken Salad, Egg Salad, and Cucumber Sandwiches; strawberries, tea scones with clotted cream, lemon curd, or fruit preserves to put on top of the sweet scones.
Leslie, Kathy, Susan, Emily, Ora, Alicia, and Anita

Melissa, Alicia, Jennifer, Sheli, Me (with the goofey hat), Dorothy, and Tiffany

Nancy, Theresa, Caroline, Kathy, Kathy, Leslie, and Joan

Dorothy, Tiffany, Marie (taking a picture of me taking a picture...too weird), and Sheli

Jennifer, Alicia, Melissa, Anita, and Ora


I just know Marie secretly wants my JA action figure!!!

The desserts were lemon cake cookies, banana spice cookies, cream wafers, caramel shortbread cookies, and sugar cake (from a mix I picked up in a bakery in Old Salem, North Carolina).


I decorated the tables with sayings and excerpts of her books and letters. I had a stack of questions on each table for those who wanted to see how well they knew her books. I even had my “Pride and Prejudice” board game out but no one wanted to play with me. My Jane Austen action figures were the best part of the table decorations along with flowers potted in tea cups.  (Yes, I am over the top!)

I also got a new dress for the party (Thanks Wendy!!!). I love dressing up and this is probably the “real” reason I have a tea party, so I have an excuse to dress up once a year. We really had a very nice lunch and being able to have it this year outside was a real treat (75 degrees)!!! I love the winters in Arizona!!!
Me, in my new dress, trying to convert Marie!

Thank you to all my friends and Jane Austen fans for humoring me!!! And THANKS to Jane Austen for making our lives richer because of her amazing books!!! By the way, my favorite book of Jane's is Persuasion, and my favorite character is Anne Elliot (just in case anyone was wondering).

BBC's latest production of Persuasion...AWWW Rupert Penry Jones as Capt. Wentworth!!!!


This is my favorite movie version of the book!


“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”

---Jane Austen

4 comments:

Tami Allred said...

I have got to convert!!! I'm embarrassed to admit, never read a Jane Austin but I think I will try this year.
You are so fun. I love seeing my old, well they're not old, friends.

@jenhalloran said...

SO much fun!! Thank you , thank you Leslie for once again outdoing yourself and including us in your wonderful celebration. Everything -- food, decor, tea, trivia, weather and particularly the hostess -- was perfect!

markandaubrey said...

Looks like fun! I had to work so I missed my mom's party. The leftovers were perfect though!

Heidi said...

What a great idea! It sounds delicious and your outfit is darling! I have to admit that Jane Austen has had a big influence on my writings . . .