September

September

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Finally!!! After Nine Months of Waiting...It is HERE!!!

No it is NOT a baby!!!  It is the movie "The Young Victoria" starring Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend!

My friend Kim and I were given 2 passes (thank you Alicia!), to see the advanced screening of the new movie “The Young Victoria”. I have been waiting for 9 months to see this movie because when I was in London in March it had just been released and I wanted to see it but didn’t. It took forever to make it to Arizona but it was worth the wait!



The movie covers the time period of when Queen Victoria was a young girl up through the birth of hers and Prince Albert’s first child. The main focus of the film was the romance between Victoria and Prince Albert, but it also included the politics behind the crown which was very fascinating.


I had always known her relationship with her mother was not good but in this movie they showed why. Now, I know that you can’t judge history by a movie, but I do trust an English movie to get English history right far more than Hollywood to get ANY history correct in a movie. But it has made me want to study more about Queen Victoria’s life.




It was sad in the sense that you know that she and Albert only had 20 years together before he died, but they were very much in love throughout that 20 years.


The costuming was phenomenal! Emily Blunt is luminescent in every scene. She is such a great actress; I especially loved her in “The Jane Austen Book Club”. Rupert Friend was also excellent and it was nice to see him in this “happy” movie since that last movie I saw him in was “The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas”, and he was a very mean Nazi. He played it well but it was disturbing. He also is an excellent actor.




I highly recommend this movie. You don’t have to be an anglophile or history junkie to enjoy it. Just go for the romantic story! And in case you are wondering, it is not a chick flick! I think men will enjoy the politics and drama also! It open this week but since it is an independent film it may not be in too many theaters so try to find it!

2 comments:

jordiegirl said...

Sounds like one to see - thanks for the heads up.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Carrie said...

I absolutely loved everything about the movie. The scenes were beautiful, all the woodwork exquisite, the landscape was so lovely, the history and actors were wonderful. I want to see it again...and will tomorrow! I love the British people...oh yea, that would be where "my people" come from!