September

September

Monday, January 18, 2010

Lemons, Oranges, Grapefruit, and More!!!!

It's that time of year again!!!



I love January-April in Arizona.  We have so much citrus on our trees you could live out in the back yard eating it all day!   So if you are in the area and you need some citrus...

Come On Over!!!




As wonderful as it is to have so much citrus to pick off of the trees, it is also hard because other than juicing the fruit and freezing the juice, there is no way to preserve it and put it on your pantry shelves for future use, like you can other fruit like peaches or pears, etc. 

I did learn one new thing last season and it worked.  Instead of juicing lemons and freezing the juice, I learned you can just stick the whole lemon in the freezer in a freezer bag.  Then when you need lemon juice, get one out and let it thaw and it juices beautifully!  Easy Peasy!!!





Here is my favorite citrus recipe for a dinner meal that uses Citrus.  I did put it up last year but I haven't found one that I like better than this so I am sharing it again. 

Halibut with Grapefruit and Rosemary






2 ruby red grapefruit

1 sprig plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

1 T sugar

Coarse sand and pepper

1 T olive oil

Four 6-ounce skinless halibut or other firm white fish fillets

1-Pre-heat broiler with rack 4 inches from the heat. Using a vegetable peeler, remove 4 large strips of zest from one grapefruit, avoiding the bitter white pith. Cut into slivers; set aside.

2-Slice the top and bottom of both grapefruits with a paring knife. Set one of the flat sides on your work surface. From top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. Trim off any remaining pith. Holding the grapefruit over a bowl, cut along both side of each segment, staying close to the membrane, to release. Squeeze membranes over a small saucepan and add any juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Add rosemary sprig, sugar, grapefruit zest, ½ c water, and ¼ t coarse salt. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook until syrupy, 8-10 minutes.

3- Meanwhile, rub fresh fillets with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place on a broiler-proof rimmed baking sheet. Broil until opaque throughout, 7-10 minutes.

4- When syrup is done, discard rosemary sprig. Add syrup and chopped rosemary to bowl with grapefruit segments. Toss gently, place on top of the fish fillets, and serve.

Serve 4

 
If you have any other recipes that use citrus, email them to me at:  lrtpearson@hotmail.com  , so I can try them. 
 
 I AM DESPERATE FOR MORE RECIPES TO USE UP ALL THE CITRUS!!!

1 comment:

Tami Allred said...

can I send Landon over?

I do miss fresh citrus and ohhhh the smell of orange blossoms in March. My favorite.