September

September

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Shades of Hamlet in this Bollywood Movie

I know I am on a Bollywood kick lately but other than “The Young Victoria”, there haven’t really been any great movies to blog or review about, in my opinion. Plus, I have many years worth of Bollywood movies to catch up on.

Some of you may be wondering what exactly a “Bollywood” movie is. Technically, a movie made in India is considered a Bollywood movie, although my neighbor, Usha, who really introduced me to Bollywood after I saw “Bride and Prejudice”,(she gives me an endless supply and suggestions of movies), says that that really isn’t quite true. But we will go with that definition.

Last week I saw a great new one (ok, I mean new to me, but it came out in 2007) entitled “Om Shanti Om”.
 

I tried to describe it to friends and family as a “murder, suspense, romance, comedy, musical”, and I got very strange looks. But there really is not a better way to explain it.

Shah Rukh Khan

It stars my favorite Bollywood star, Shah Rukh Khan (soon to be seen in the movie “My Name Is Khan” opening here in the USA on Feb. 12th). He is amazing!!! He sings, dances, he acts and his dimples are so cute!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!


The movie opens in the 70’s and our hero, Om Prakash, is a bit actor in movies. He has a crush on one of the leading ladies of the time, Shantipriya, played by Deepika Padukone (this was her first movie). As Om tries to woo Shanti, he finds out a secret about her.
 
Deepika Padukone
 
 
She is secretly married to an awful movie producer, Mukesh, and he wants to keep their marriage a secret. Om is devasted. One night while at the movie studio, he sees Mukesh and Shanti go on to a movie set and Om witnesses the murder of Shanti. He tries to save her but he is severely injured and later dies from his injuries in the hospital. He is immediately reincarnated (remember this is a Hindi film, so this works!) as a baby that is just born in the same hospital.
 
Shanti and Mukesh
 
 
Now, fast forward 30 years and the “new” Om is now a famous movie star “Om Kapoor”, and he starts to have flashbacks of his previous life. He doesn’t know the explanation until he meets Mukesh for the first time and all the memories of his first life and the murder of Shanti come back to him.

Now we have the “Hamlet” connection of “a play within a play”. Om and his friend are going to reenact the murder to try to get a confession from Mukesh in order to get justice for Shanti after 30 years.
 
The video of the final confrontation with Mukesh
 
The sets are great, the costuming is phenomenal and music and choreography is so fun you want to get up and dance with them!!! (Which I do when no one is home and I am not ashamed to admit it!)
 

One of the highlights of the movie is an awards show and post award show party where many of my favorite and famous Bollywood stars have cameos. So funny!!!

You need to be prepared for sub-titles but don’t let that put you off! It is quite violent in the murder spot so be prepared.


This is now my 3rd favorite Bollywood movie, behind “Rab ne Bana di Jodi”, and Veer-Zaahra (both with Shah Rukh Kahn). I hope you will watch it and let me know what you think.



Post Award Show Party when he sees Mukesh for the 1st time in his second life
"Om Shanti Om"

2 comments:

Tami Allred said...

So do these movies grow on you cuz I'm having a hard time with this culture. Just not getting it.

Kim said...

I agree the music is great fun...