September

September

Monday, September 21, 2009

Cook with Solar Power!!

Some of my most popular classes on self-reliance have been how to cook with alternatives fuels. Today I will show you my favorite. Here in AZ we have an abundance of SUN!! So it makes sense to use the sun instead of electricity, especially in the summer. The other advantage is that it doesn't heat up the house, so you don't have to cool it down with more air-conditioning. The newest product I have found is called the Solar Hot-Pot. Anything you can make in a crock pot can be made in this solar hot-pot. I have cooked casseroles, one pot meals and even a 4 pound roast with the vegetables and they all turned out perfectly. I just made them in the morning, and put them out in the sun, aiming the reflector towards the sun and it starts to cook immediately. It took the roast and veges about 6 1/2 hour to completely cook without any electric power. All you have to do is about every 30 minutes, go out and turn it so it will continue to follow the sun. I was so excited about this product that we gave it to all my married kids for Christmas last year. I don't know if they have used it but at least they have it if there is ever an emergency and we are without power for an extended time. Just do a search for "solar hot-pot" and you will find multiple outlets to buy one from.

Solar Hot-Pot

The product that I have been using for at least 15 years is the Solar Oven. This can cook anything that you can cook in a regular oven. Besides using it at home, I have taken it camping, and cooked frozen lasagna, cookies, cakes, breads, and casseroles. It is great. The temperature in the oven can get up to 375 degrees. Again with this, you need to turn it every 30-60 minutes as the sun moves. I have used this in the summer mainly but I have also used it in the winter. It may not get as worm but that just means you need to cook the food longer.
Solar Sun Oven
These are both great products and both can be found and purchased in numerous locations so shop around. If you don't want to spend the money, you can even find instruction on the web on how to make your own solar ovens and pots. HAVE FUN!!! It is a great feeling to be self-reliant!

No comments: