September

September

Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Must See Movie Gem!


My friend Kim brought over a movie a week ago for me to watch because she and her sister Tammy had enjoyed it so much. It was one I had to sit down and watch as it is in German so I needed to read the sub-titles. The movie is "Vitus" and it was made in Switzerland. It is WONDERFUL!!!!


The story begins as a boy,Vitus, of about 13 year of age, is flying off a private air field in a small airplane by himself and without permission we assume. After that, time slips back a few years to when Vitus is 5 years old. He lives with his mother and father and he has a very close relationship with his paternal grandfather, who plays a very important role in his life.

Vitus is an exceptionally intelligent boy and after 6 months of piano lessons, it is obvious he has a gift because he plays amazingly. The 2 actors that they got to play Vitus at the the ages of 5 and 12 could really play the piano. I am always amazed that after all the years of lessons that I took, these boys could play circles and more around me. Back to the movie...along the way he develops a crush on his 12 year old babysitter, Isabel, and there is an adorable scene where he,(the 5 year old Vitus) is playing rock music for her on the piano to sing and dance to. His parents eventually had to fire her and Vitus rebels.
Vitus begins to skip grades at school because he is so intelligent and is eventually allowed to graduate at 12 and began studying for the entrances exams for the University. He has a great future ahead of him but all he really wants is a normal life and the main theme of the movie is what he has to do in order to have a normal life.

There is also another story line going on and that is what the effect is on the parents of having such a gifted child. It is a sweet love story both between the parents, and the boy and his grandfather.

There are some very funny and also touching twists all through the movie. One minute I was laughing, the next, I had tears in my eyes, and the next I was doing both. Try to find it and watch it. It is a treat!

I was able to find a trailer for the movie on youtube so check this out:


1 comment:

Tami Allred said...

I will definitely Net flix it, thanks